Monday, December 15, 2014

· 1930s Jabot Dress ·



It seems like forever ago that I made this dress, but I just got around to photographing it last week! When I realized that it was not windy out for a change, and not too cold [30 degrees isn't too cold?!], I decided to take up the opportunity to get some dress pictures. Believe it or not, the only part of me that was cold was my hands! They were rather frozen however, which rendered piano-playing a little difficult afterwards.
 This fabric was intended for my Emma Timmins ensemble, but its fate changed when, in a moment of frustration, I declared that I simply *must* have a 1930s wintry dress. Enter Vogue 8767. Although this fabric would have made a beautiful 1890s dress, I really love it in this pattern.


I have also made this jacket in pink paisley. I have rather a love-hate relationship with it for some reason, but today, at least, I do like it. I had to alter it slightly (which I also did with the pink one post-photo session). The fit of the jacket was terrible around the waist, so I took three 1-inch tucks in the back. It was somewhat of a gamble because of the design; I didn't really know what it was going to look like, but it ended up working famously! Although the next size down might work without adding tucks, I think that they actually make the jacket look better.


I finally got brave enough to wear my blue hat! It is affectionately known as the Barney Fife hat around here...


....ahem. I love my hat, but I can't help thinking about Barn when I wear it.
"Don't tell my daughter-in-law!"


I unfortunately didn't have any vintage buckles when I made the dress, so I had to settle for a pretty store-bought one. It coordinates quite nicely with the jacket buttons!
These lovely gloves came from our favorite antique store for just a couple dollars. Vintage gloves that fit are a rare find!


Although this is a 1930s pattern, I feel like it is a transitional dress; not too 1930s, but not really 1940s either. It doesn't really look very 1930s, other than in the skirt design. I like it a lot though, in fact, it is one of a very few things I've made which I actually have no complaints about! That is extremely rare for me since I'm always scrutinizing my projects.


The front of the dress has a slit opening that closes with two hooks and eyes. That design seemed a little goofy when I was making it, but it stays closed all the time.


I got these lovely shoes at Modcloth while they were on sale. They're moderately comfortable and match quite a few different outfits! 


I promise that I will have the 1860s photos up here next week! I've been waiting for a nice snowy day, and as of yet, that hasn't happened. Whether it comes or not, however, I'm going picture-taking!!

We're in the midst of a major sewing room reorganization, but as soon as that is done, I am diving into a flowery, gorgeous, quintessentially 1940s dress. I am so excited to make it that I can't even see straight!!

Visit the blog live to leave a comment.



Follow Me on Pinterest

1 comment:

Your comments always make my day!! I will reply here on the blog, so be sure to check the "Notify Me" box or check back soon! Thank you :)